Kotlin Is Becoming New Android Programming Language
The Android OS has captured 70% of the mobile apps market, thus Android developers have double scope to grow in the field. Well, Java is currently practiced by the Android developers mostly, but with the emergence of Kotlin language, numerous developers are shifting towards it. The big names like AWS, Uber, Pinterest, Netflix, and Coursera have already adopted Kotlin. And, with the declaration of Google “Kotlin being the next learning language” final nail in Java’s coffin has been nailed.
So, in this post, we will try to understand why Kotlin is becoming the future of Android development and whether there is any benefit of learning Kotlin or not.
Briefing of Kotlin
Kotlin was first introduced in 2010 by JetBrains. The organization best known for its IntelliJ IDEA integrated development environment. The company was looking for the alternative of Java as the task performed by it required more coding. Thus to eliminate the shortcomings of Java they required a system which is interloped with Java. So, the Android developers can understand it quickly and thus Kotlin was born.
Kotlin market is slowly increasing as today JetBrains has grown to 40+ developers and its GitHub repository has almost 200 contributors. Moreover, in 2017 Google has declared it an official Android language.
Promises Made By Kotlin
Well, Kotlin is introduced by the developers to fulfill following dynamic promises:
- Less usage of boilerplate codes in writing.
- Enchantment of readability of codes, so that developers can easily read them.
- Introduction of new and developed data classes.
- A system which is interoperable with Java.
- Language that supports both OOP and the functional paradigm.
- The app development with a smaller file size of around 100 KB.
- Availability of one functional and convenient library.
Promises Which Are Fulfilled
Kotlin fulfills following promises from the above-mentioned list:
- Kotlin syntax enables developers to accumulate OOP paradigms despite few hardships from Java language.
- Java programs can easily shift to Kotlin as it is interoperable with Java.
- Kotlin data class is much compact then Java as it contains automatically generated getters, setters, toString(), copy(), hashCode(), equals().
- Kotlin comes with the null safety and control flow.
- It has lambda system which balances between the readability and succinctness.
- Kotlin has an inbuilt support for the Delegation pattern.
Which Language Should Android Developer Learn?
Well, Android developers need to learn both Java and Kotlin to get the job in app development. As Android system can’t function properly without Java files. So, in short, Android developers first need to learn Java and then Kotlin to complement it. Moreover, Java will ease out the learning process for Kotlin. That’s why developers both languages are equally important and essential to score a job as an Android developer.